Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may likely apply to all liquid cooling engines, and more to small engines/cooling systems such as ours.

The Chicken Little's ( :mrgreen: ) on another forum are discussing their temperature readout.

On a cold 40F day traveling down the freeway, the "engine" temp gauge displays around 140F for a 1/4 mile or so, then climbs to around 185F for a quarter mile or so, then back down to 140F, etc. And this goes on and on this up and down cycle.

Now, would this be normal or cause for some further investigation?

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
I`m glad I do NOT have a gauge!!!

I wonder IF the fan running is bringing the meter hand down???

Glad I ain`t got one...

IF it were more drastic change than 40 degrees I MIGHT be a tadd concerned, but > 40 degrees? Naah!

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
This may likely apply to all liquid cooling engines, and more to small engines/cooling systems such as ours.

The Chicken Little's ( :mrgreen: ) on another forum are discussing their temperature readout.

On a cold 40F day traveling down the freeway, the "engine" temp gauge displays around 140F for a 1/4 mile or so, then climbs to around 185F for a quarter mile or so, then back down to 140F, etc. And this goes on and on this up and down cycle.

Now, would this be normal or cause for some further investigation?
That's the thermostat cycling from open to close, etc. Stat makes a fast reacting thermostat that helps to maintain a steadier temp. I've used them on a Pontiac Gran Prix and Chevy S10 Blazer that had temp gauges and was quite surprised how well they hold the temp.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
How do they know the gauge is "accurate"? But yea, i agree, its normal.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Consensus on the fans is that they come on at 220F.

I did not know if it was normal, but it is not something I've ever seen before. I've also never experienced a digital temp gauge before either. I can say it is extremely consistent as to the temp readings, and when the fans come on, but that's probably to be expected as the fan trigger is likely using the same data.

My Magna had an analog needle gauge and it was fairly stable. It would only move when you'd get stuck in traffic on a hot day and then it would just go up a little. Maybe on that gauge a 50F temp swing was a needle's width, so you'd not even notice it moving if it was?

The thing for me is that the thermostat is an analog device operating via a pressure piston cell to overcome a spring, and in my limited experience and information from a long time ago leads me to believe that they would open an appropriate amount and find a medium, and not act like an binary open/closed switch. So much for high school shop class...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts