Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

Registered
There is only one ICM/TCI box on those bikes, so any swapping gets expensive fast and I think that's why the original poster wants to eliminate everything else first.
Ah, don鈥檛 know why I started thinking he was working on an older bike... 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Alright, here's a little update. Double checked all of the grounds, cleaned the connector for the ICM, swapped coils front to back, both coils on the bike have 2.6 Ohms resistance. Forgot to check the resistance through the wires, but it doesn't seem to matter. There were absolutely no changes. The front cylinder wants to go, but it's just not getting the spark it needs. If you get your ear by the exhaust tip, you can hear it "puffing" and smell the un-burned fuel. Right now, I'm waiting for the ICM I ordered to come in, seems to be the issue. Guess I'll find out soon.

Registered
You guys might have come across the section of the manual that talks about testing the pulse generator and the ICM as requiring a "peak voltage test", which in turn requires a special Honda tool, which is pretty expensive.

This is because a DMM or analog voltmeter has internal circuitry that converts incoming signals to Root Mean Square ( RMS) values. The meter is expecting everything to be a nice round, fat sinusoidal wave. In actuality the ignition pulses are narrow, steep spikes, so an RMS value won't tell you much about the usability of the pulse, and so quick, your meter might miss it. It's cheap and pretty easy to make your own "peak voltage adaptor" with a few dollars in components and a soldering gun. Here's some links to guys who built one and documented their efforts.

and,

I personally have a USB oscilloscope that I can use to see the shape of the waveform which gives peak value and other info.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts