Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sorry to start a new thread on this. We discussed this in a prior thread under a different topic but I don't remember what it was.

A couple of weeks ago while discussing something different I mentioned the HORRIBLE MPG my bike was getting. A few of you mentioned that the higher octain the fuel the higher level of ethanol in the fuel. I was using the highest octain fuel I could find. You guys suggested I use regular unleaded to see increased MPG. I didn't really believe it would make a difference but I tried it.

I've been using regular unleaded for the past week and a half or so and several fill ups. I haven't really been in a position to test the theory because I've had to fill up prior to empty. This morning I filled up then rode about 84 miles back from Atlantic City at an average of 65 to 75 MPH. In the past at an average of 70 to 75 MPH I've had to switch to reserve at 63 to 68 miles. This morning I rode 84 miles and did not have to switch. I'm going to run the rest of the tank later today or tomorrow to see how much further I can go.

You guys obviously know what you are talking about. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

You guys obviously know what you are talking about. Thanks for your help!
Well you're welcome and thanks for thanking.:D

As far as the other, well, even a crap watch is right twice a day.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
FYI, there is no need to run out a whole tank to check gas mileage. Your mileage is always relevant to how many miles you rode versus how many gallons it takes to refill the tank. All you need to do is record the mileage on the odometer at each fill up then you subtract one from the other and divide by the gallons you put in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
FYI, there is no need to run out a whole tank to check gas mileage. Your mileage is always relevant to how many miles you rode versus how many gallons it takes to refill the tank. All you need to do is record the mileage on the odometer at each fill up then you subtract one from the other and divide by the gallons you put in.
+1
This is the correct way to do it. I have a lot of customers come into the shop and complain about their mpg, when in fact they are checking mpt (miles per tank) big differance.

Eric

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Still way low. I routinely got 55 mpg (~120 mi on main) with mostly country road riding, occasionally 60 mpg on cross-country after a good valve setting when I had a VLX. Have you tried Sea Foam? Max application, run it through with a few days of 'rest' may give you another burst of mpg.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You may also want to try adjusting your air/fuel mixture with the pilot screws on your carbs. I have been playing with this on my bike trying to solve a popping on deceleration problem. In doing so I have have noticed a HUGE difference in mileage per gallon as I increase the fuel mixture.I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but it has. The general rule is to close the all the way and then open them 1.5 turns. Check your manual to make sure that is correct for your ride. Also keep in mind that could be different if you have jetted your carbs. Anyway, just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.