Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride alot in south louisiana,we have lots or rain and load of bugs in the morning

My 01 Spirit 1100 came with a full size windsheild.I never used it but the prevouis owner claims it sucks in the winter cause it fogs up,in the rain you cant see thru it and summer time its hot behind it

would a half windsheild,something reaching no higher than my chin be good to keep rain and bugs out of my face?

I ride alot even when its raining and wear a full face helmet with lens.
would the areodynamics of a shorter sheild deflect bugs over my head or do I just have to deal with it,lol.
I really dont want a full height windsheild,just not my style

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
if your looking through the windshield normal wisdom says it is too tall. I have used shields for over 30 years and prefer it comes only to about my nose. Most of the time I look over it and the wind currents carry rain and bugs over my head. I have found bugs smashed on the top of my helmet but not many on my glasses. As for too warm, it does cut down on the wind but I don't find that too bad. Im sure there will be lots of different ideas about windshields and they are all probably right, for them. It is a very personal choise. Experiment and find what you like.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The lower windshield will offer protection, just less than the taller. It is all personal preference but most suggest that the windshield not be too tall to where you can't look over it in needed situations such as fogging or rain.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had taken my shield off to see what it was like without it. Up to about 70 it's ok. With rain and bugs it makes a big difference. There are ways to cutting down that shield, I haven't done it before but if you google you can find out how. Think I remember seeing some videos on youtube also.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm all for a good shield... I had a "sport shield" on my Suzuki M50 and in many ways I might as well not have had a windshield on at all. I was constantly having to clean my face shield. It was a LITTLE better than nothing... it deflected SOME of the bugs over my head... but not many. I love my full shield.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I like my full windshield, keep it clean and it works great, keeps the bugs (especially at night) off me and not much of a problem with rain (I do look thru mine), if it does fog up and the face shield, I can look over it if I sit tall and lift my shield a little, then I have to hope I coated my glasses also.....:shock::D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had taken my shield off to see what it was like without it. Up to about 70 it's ok. With rain and bugs it makes a big difference. There are ways to cutting down that shield, I haven't done it before but if you google you can find out how. Think I remember seeing some videos on youtube also.
Thankxz man heres a nice lil vid

i'll give it a try and post the results

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
The lower windshield will offer protection, just less than the taller. It is all personal preference but most suggest that the windshield not be too tall to where you can't look over it in needed situations such as fogging or rain.
You should be able to look over your windshield. Clean it with Protect-All
(Amazon, and a lot of independent shops), and it's a lot easier to get those bugs off after a long ride.
Actually, clean your entire bike with Protect-All--metal, leather (it has a UV protectant), and fiberglas.
No, I have no financial interest. Just found the stuff years ago.

Be REAL REAL careful if you are thinking about cutting into your windshield. They crack, VERY easily.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
My thoughts on windshields? Why do you think they call them fairy shields? To better fit with sissy bars.

·
Registered
18,102 Posts
I look over mine, duck behind it too, when needed...
I reckon mine is the right height fer me...
Even though it is tall enuff, SOME Bugs have nailed me by coming around it or behind it...
OUCH!!!
Yeah, I`m spoiled,
Dennis

·
Registered
42 Posts
Style or Functionality? With the bugs, rain, rocks or being sand blasted by construction junk on the road... my choice is the full shield. I would rather protection than looking cool. But being older here, I guess my priorities may be different.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My 2 cents worth -- I "rented" a few different shields (bought them used, tried them, sold them on eBay or wherever). I like the one I have now, National Cycle Chopped with their chrome lowers. I look over it, also ride with a FF helmet. Almost 100% of the bugs get deflected over my helmet, not on my visor. And in the rain it doesn't affect the view.

I also liked a Memphis Hellcat I had for a while (but found a good deal on that National Cycle used that I couldn't ignore).

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I rode for awhile with one, and then just ripped it off. I do ride with a FF helmet so the bugs and stuff don't bother me. I like the look without the shield, and I really don't find the wind an issue. I commute on highways every night and even doing 80-85 mph with semi's it doesn't bother me. If I was doing some heavy miles though (400+ highway miles in one trip), I would probably but the shield back on.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My thoughts on windshields? Why do you think they call them fairy shields? To better fit with sissy bars.
SISSY bars I have heard of, never heard of fairy shields, in fact, a quick google search shows no results related to motorcycles... who calls them that?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I dont like em much

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i don't really like 'em. but they do feel better when there is a lot of bugs out and when your on a long trip. they lessen the wind fatigue.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
SISSY bars I have heard of, never heard of fairy shields, in fact, a quick google search shows no results related to motorcycles... who calls them that?
What can I say, I was born in a time before wikipedia or the net. Most likely a local S.Florida term from the 70's.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts