Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
4,689 Posts
Good article, but I never ever - no not ever put baking soda anywhere near my battery - the only time I have used it was to make a slurry/solution with water and dip the termimal ends into the solution to clean then rinse with plenty of fresh water.

The battery was not near the baking soda. I think the line item in the article wasn't clear, however, I have known people the just cake the baking soda on the attached terminals.

Baking soda can leak into a battery the same way the acid leaks out to corrode your terminals.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I said I ride year around, but admittedly do less intense maint and checks in the winter, metal is cold even in Texas. I guess I alluded to it, but I went top to bottom front to back and checked every nut bolt and screw for torque, tightness, and made sure all holes that should have been were filled. This check I didn't see listed in the article, and if you ride things will work loose eventually. This spring based on an old Army TM I had to follow years ago, I used some nail polish(Army had a special compound that looked amazingly like nail polish) on a lot of nuts and bolts to mark them with a small line across the connection points. This way its much easier to see if they have moved or loosened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.