Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bike won't start ...

Greetings everyone,

I/m reposting this due to lack of replies ...

My 1987 VT700C has trouble starting when the temperature outside is anything less that balmy. I could not start the bike one evening a week ago or so, but the next day, when the temp was in the 70s it fired up instantly. This morning its breezy and chilly (by Los Angeles standards) and after several attempts the bike will not start.

I am totally new to the bike, and to motorcycling in general. Is this a normal thing with all bikes? Or a normal thing with older bikes? I can't always rely on the weather being perfect, even in southern California, I don't have a garage, so, what can I do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need some help

Rode my '01 Shadow 750 ACE to work and back today - no problems as usual. Got on it later and would not start. All indicator lights, horn, etc. working fine. Starter never turns at all. Sure that starter not getting power at all. Checked all switches, kickstand, etc. with no luck. Did finally notice that the headlight is also not working. Pulled the headlight and the bulb looks fine. Checked battery and 12.5V, so good there. Not sure what to look for next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
257 Posts
One more thing ...a biggy

Everyone here is neglecting the obvious. One more VERY IMPORTANT thing to check when your bike wont start. .......Is the condition of your WALLET/PURSEsee I even got that gender neutral.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Add to battery

Seems quite a few have problems starting their bike but the starter turns.
make sure you test the battery to see if the panels inside might be broken.
You can check this by checking the voltage while you try to start. If the battery falls below 10, your battery is more then likely shot.
Doessent helt if its 12,8 when not using, cause it cant take load.

Just hook your multimeter to the battery, put it on the seat and try to start.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Couple comments on 2 different sub-threads.

The main post was fantastic, and we should all print it out, but there was one minor omission. When you remove the plug, then check the ignition by grounding the plug body and cranking, make sure this is far away from the plug hole. If fuel is actually being delivered, and the spark is present, it'll shoot a magnificent flame out the spark hole. So I've been told. In that case, the plug wouldn't ignite the misture under pressure for some reason. Without the pressure, it was one hell of a nice display.

The manual says to kill the engine with the key. I think the reason is that, if you use the kill switch, you might forget the key, and run the battery down via the headlight. I had a mis-set kill switch once, but I was right at the dealer. I went back inside for help, and it's the first thing they check.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I forgot one thing - on two occasions, about 3 years apart, I've had the bike (99 shadow spirit 1100) crank nicely, but not start. In both cases, it was an old battery. It almost seems like a fuel problem, but it's the battery. Yhey last about 3 years. Period.

·
Registered
39 Posts
One correction. The standard wisdom is that if the engine cranks, the battery is good. Supposedly, if the battery has enough juice to run the starter motor, then there should be enough juice to power the spark.

On two occasions, I found that the engine would crank, but a new (and recharged) battery fixed the problem. At the time, the batteries were about 3 years old. I ride a '99 Shadow Spirit, and it's now on its third battery at 44,000 miles.

There are two possible explanations. First, the starter motor draws the batterh voltage down enough that the ignition system won't function. Second, the ignition system on some bikes isn't enabled unless the engine rpm is above some threshold (150 rpm?). I read this somewhere (here?), and I think it prevents backfires while starting.

Whatever causes it, a cranking engine may still need a new battery.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
ElBando said:
If you ride a Goldwing check the reverse button, if it is accidently bumped in the starter will not engage.
Also check the TIP sensor, I'm not sure what years it was on, but my uncle GL1500 had one and it was cuasing all kinds of weird problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
bike wont start

i have a 84 shadow vt500 and it wont start. 3 days ago it was riding fine and when i tried to ride it yesterday it would not start. the battery was dead so i connected my trickle charge at 2v overnight and now the battery is good but it still wont start. i did the ignition check and i saw sparks jumping out and the air filter is good. the gas is a week old. when i try to start it all i hear is a clicking (like an electrical ticking sound) sound but no turn over. i think it could also be burning oil because i checked it and it was way low. a friend mentioned something about carbon build up causing starter problems because it runs when i push start it. could it be a starter problem?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm not so sure that the battery is good. Even if you measure the voltage at 12.6, that does not necessarily mean that it has the capacity to power the starter motor any longer. The clicking is probably the starter relay, which draws much less current than the starter motor. A full discharge is very hard on a battery. How old is the battery?

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Intermittent ignition problem

I have been reading the posts in this forum and am impressed with the friendliness and the willingness to help of all the people here.
I have a new (to me) 2001 ACE 750 Deluxe that is having intermittent ignition problems. I've read the posts here and can't find one that discusses my exact situation.
I turn the key, flip the kill switch on, and (in neutral) push the button. No noise, but the lights flicker indicating contact (?). Same thing when in gear and the clutch is pulled in. toggling the kill switch has no effect. Eventually after playing with all the controls and putting the bike in and out of gear, it fires right up. so far. The battery connections are good, but could a weak battery cause this? Bad kill switch?
I'd appreciate some advice on where to start. I'm not very mechanically oriented (yet), but i did by a Clymers and am willing to give anything a shot. Again, it is very intermittent, so I'm not sure how to reproduce it at will, making it difficult for me to know where to start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't laugh boys and girls, because these things happened to me(I am sure to others) more than once on each dumb occurance, and it always almost freaked me out! :oops:

1. Start switch.

2. Out of fuel.

3. Even when there is sloshing gas in the tank when flipped to reserve.(especially this one).

But I slowly become less panicky everytime. :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
more info

thanks for the replies. i've experienced it a few more times and believe it is related to the kill switch. do these go bad? i've experimented by only using the kill switch when i'm home (and killing it with the key when I'm not). I've had no problems if I kill it with the key. so far, if i toggle the kill switch a bunch of times it will eventually work. again, do these go bad? :?:

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am having the exact same problem as up4fishin. i press the start button "after key on kill switch on run and in nutrell" the head light will dim but no response. if i sit there and play with the start button a bunch some times it will click and verry little times it will crank and start after pushin the **** out of the button out of frustration. i checked the battery and actualy took throttle off and sprayed contact cleaner on kill switch and start button put back together and still not working. guess i should take throttle off again and try to check for continuity. are the starter switches known to go out like that. i tried folowing wires aound also, guess i could do it more extremely. but unless somebody knows on this then i wont. checked fuses also. HELP

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't know if anyone else said it, but try

THE KILL SWITCH!

I can't tell you how many times I've bumped it or if some joker touched it or something and then go to start my bike thinking about all the bad stuff that probably broke when all that's wrong was the GD kill switch on the handle bars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bike Died Out of the Blue - Please Help???!!!!

2007 Shadow Spirit C2 2300 miles on the clock. Original owner. Recently washed the bike, but careful around electricals like always. Started fine this morning. Rode 3-4 miles to gas station, turned bike off and filled up the tank. Started fine. Headed dwon the road at 60 mph. A mile or so from the station, bike started to hesitant and jerk intermittently like when its time to flip to reserve and finally the engine quit entirely.

Needless to say, numerous attemptyed restarts resulted in a dead battery which is now on the tender at home. Bike is about 3-5 miles from home and I hate to have it towed for something simple. Double checked that the fuel is on, kill switch and ignition in correct positions. Had no trouble starting at the gas station. Plan to pull the plugs and check their condition when the battery is ready to go back over. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem - where the bike was running fine and then suddenly stopped? Any suggestions on what could have suddenly gone wrong or what to check next?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
87 Replies
58 Participants
ALD3
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing